Wednesday, June 15, 2005

New Abstinence Research - What does it mean?

I was flipping through the channels yesterday and came across a Christian news broadcast. They were talking about this new study that was released by the US Dept. of Health and Human Services. They were praising the research because it showed how abstinence programs were working. So I logged on to find out more info about this study. I found some articles that said the same thing as the news broadcast, but I also came across several articles that told me that this study proved that abstinence programs were NOT working. You can imagine my surprise, so I surfed my favorite talk show host and commentators for some clarity on this issue, but I found nothing. Then I went straight to the horses mouth and tried to read the report that the US Dept. of Health and Humans Services published, but I could not make sense of it. What does this all mean, how can we make sense of these mixed messages from the media.

Well, I still believe that abstinence works regardless of the research. I believe that the only biblical way for a person to engage in sexual activity is within the bonds of marriage. I come to a point that these facts really mean nothing to me. Regardless of what some number crunchers think, I believe that abstinence is the only way. It is the only 100% effective way to prevent STD's, pregnancies, and unnecessary emotional stress.

Students, stay focused on being pure and waiting for that special person that God has for you.

Youth leaders, don't let this report get you discouraged, keep doing what we know to be right; promoting the truths found in scripture.

US Dept. of Health and Human Services Press Release

No comments: