Saturday, June 11, 2005

Culture of Death

In Dr. Mohlers commentary on Friday he comments on a topic that was far from my mind, now. When Terri Schiavo's life hung in the balance many of us rallied to her aid, we prayed, wrote our leadership, we held vigils, and we wrote in our blogs. I committed to only blog about that subject while she was still alive. I understand that she is dead and that we must move on, but there is a bigger issue at stake. What have pro-life supporters done since she died. I have done nothing; and I asked myself what can I do now. Dr. Mohlers quotes from a medical journal Dr. Phil McHugh. Dr. McHugh of the Johns Hopkins University makes many points about the death, but none so grave as when he points out that we are living in a culture of death.

It seems that ever where around us we see death not just in the media, but in ourselves and it is up to those of us that value life to stop this type of thinking. Life is important, it matters to God and thus should matter to us. I become frustrated when I try to comprehend what someone that wanted Terri to die might be thinking. I can't rationalize it in my head. We that value life, must stand up for it, everyday whether it is a child in the womb or a women on a feeding tube. Let's not let Terri's death become forgotten or else Dr. McHugh writes,

"The more this culture [of death] continues to influence our thinking, the deeper are likely to become the divisions within our society and within our families, the more hardened our hatreds, and the more manifold our fears. More of us will die prematurely; some of us will be persuaded that we want to."

Please read Dr. Mohler's commentary and let me know your thoughts.
http://albertmohler.com/commentary_read.php?cdate=2005-06-10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm one of those people who you would say "wanted Terri to die," and I say that not out of sadism or cruelty but as a recognition that she had been dying for many years and the feeding tube was just prolonging her death. I understand that this has been an extremely emotional situation, on both sides of the fence, but not everyone interprets right-to-life in the same way.