Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Movie Review: Star Wars

I saw this movie the night it came out, but I wanted to take some time to think about what I saw and get other people reactions to the movie. If you haven't seen the movie then you may not want to read this as I may spoil things for you (As if you didn't already know the ending).

I for one liked the first two movies. I thought they were great in how they explained things and how they worked so well in setting up episodes 4-6. I went to episode three hoping to receive the payoff of my many years as a Star Wars fan. As I left the theater I felt tricked by my emotions. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was well made, but as I sat and thought about it, some of it didn't quite make sense. I eventually entered into a state of let down. There is no question these are the best graphics in a movie thus far and star wars is always sex free and swear free. However, this movie was more disturbing than the other movies with imagery and violence. The violence is not to much for a Middle School student, but parents should read the review by www.kidsinmind.com, before taking elementary school children.

The major problem that I had with the story is with the time line. The movie supposedly took place over a seven or eight month time period but it felt more like two weeks. I needed to feel more of the time lapse. Also, I thought the reason that Anakin converted to the dark side was not believable and it seemed his change was to quick. One minute he is think the the supreme chancellor is wrong and next he is bowing down, becoming his apprentice. If he was so filled with pride, why didn't he just kill the supreme chancellor and become emperor himself. I just could believe that he would leave the Jedi life, just for a hope that maybe, just maybe he could learn to save people from death. Don't even get me started on General Grievous, how annoying was he. Also, if the Jedi were so powerful, why did only two survive. Why couldn't more use the force and sense they were going to be killed like Yoda did? Anyway, so much for a good story.

This movie has already proved to be a blockbuster as it approaches the 300 million mark and it has only been out for three weeks. George, you did well, but you don't need to rush things. Your audience will appreciate a good story that is not filled with holes. I hope he continues to make more Star Wars movies, I will again be one of the first people in line to see them. I recommend it to anyone over the age of 12 or 13, any younger should talk about it with parents first.

1 comment:

dc said...

Gotch, wassup man. Hey, I gotta new blog that is less controversial. Its called Othertown. You should check it out. I became convicted that I was participating in and causing fruitless discussions. This new site is for the most dedicated to things otherly. Kinda wierd, kinda funny, kinda neither of those things. Stop by.
May the force be with you.