Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Internet Discrimination

Recently I passed out a flyer for an event at church. The event was not at our church and directions would have been difficult to explain on the flyer. So, rather brilliantly I thought, directed the students to our church website for directions. I thought to myself, job well done! Until a student came to me yesterday and ask for directions for several of his friends that didn't have the Internet. WHAT! Doesn't have the Internet? My brain couldn't comprehend. I had operated under the assumption that only a few people in the US didn't have the Internet, like 1% or something like that. To my surprise it seems a lot of Americans don't have the Internet. I couldn't find any stats on Internet usage in the US, but I think it is a lot more than I used to think. When I passed out that flyer I committed discrimination by Internet. I assumed all student have the Internet and they don't. I can't really relate to that now. I used to know what that was like because I grew up without the Internet in my home until I was 13 or 14. I guess over the years I have become an Internet snob assuming that everyone is like me. Well, no more I not will make that assumption any longer. I will however continue to support our website and direct students there I will just have some printed directions also.

No comments: